“There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and will be lost.” – Martha Graham.
The Performance Group is for beginners who wish to explore dance, build technique and gain performance experience.
Dance Ensemble affords intermediate level girls from Years 7 to 11 the opportunity to be a part of a team that competes and performs throughout the year with a focus on performance fun. Girls involved in the ensemble program will compete in approximately three eisteddfod competitions per year as well as school based functions and performances including Performing Arts Evenings, Dance Nights, Stella Alive, Presentation Night and other College functions. Entry is by audition so that we can place each girl into an ensemble that best suits her abilities and interests.
The Stella Maris Dance Company is a dance group for elite dance students in Years 7 to 11. The Company is for girls who are interested in a dance career and who wish to improve their technique, movement vocabulary and experience what it means to be part of a company. It is expected that members of the company are dedicated and committed to dance, want opportunities to study under industry professionals and perform in both competitions and specialised concerts.
“It is really nice to see a school taking such strong initiative to give their talented dance students a platform that will give them great training for their future, whether that be dance or otherwise. Training Company experience and potential exposure is irreplaceable for those wishing to pursue a career in dance. The passion that shone from these dancers, and their hard work and dedication to pull together four works in two months, on top of keeping up with their school work, is no small feat. All involved should be commended for their effort. Stella Maris Dance Company has a bright future ahead of it…..there will be wonderfully exciting times ahead for these students.” – Dance Informa Magazine
The aim of the Company is to provide the dancers with as many varied and diverse movement opportunities as possible whilst increasing their technical level, so it requires a 100% commitment from each girl.
- The Company rehearses 2 to 3 times a week, usually at 7.30 am.
- Technique class (one per week) focuses mainly on Ballet and Contemporary techniques but may also include yoga, Pilates, acrobatics and jazz techniques.
- Performance works (one or two classes per week).
- In Terms 1 and 2 the focus is on creating both a Jazz and Lyrical/Contemporary work for the eisteddfods.
- In Terms 3 and 4 the Company works with three choreographers (one or two of whom are current industry professionals) on a Triple Bill production to be performed in Term 4.
- Guest teachers are also involved in classes from time to time.