HSC Results 2019
Dux of the College: Riona Chapman
The academic focus at Stella Maris is on each girl achieving her personal best. The personal striving of each Stella Girl is certainly reflected in her State-recognised results but even more importantly in the growth in character that comes from diligence, application, academic risk-taking, resilience and the desire to grow. When girls learn to strive and celebrate their successes we see a measurable increase in wellbeing that ensures an upward spiral of continued success in future learning and in later life generally. Success looks different for every student and is not just about what you do but about who you are. We encourage every student to focus on the long game.
We are very proud of all of our Graduates and we hope they feel that they have achieved their personal best, or even exceeded their expectations. Our congratulations go to:
- Dux of the College: Riona Chapman. Riona also achieved 3rd in State for Dance. Her HSC units included Dance, English Advanced, Chemistry, Physics, Studies of Religion 1, Mathematics and Mathematics Extension 1
- Some other top ATAR achievers: Maisie N, Carla K, Alice H, Emma D, Natalie T, Charlotte E, Shiyun L, Briana C, Mia MS, Carly L, Sydney K, Isabella P, Mia A, Inez E, Hayley H, Pela W, Isabella R, Aislinn P, Yuereng Helen L, Siobhan H, Charlotte B, Ani M, Audrey T, Francesca C, Ruby H, Ella M, Weike Vicki Z, Christina O, Zihui Stacey Z, Junlei Veena L and Catherine H.
- Our many Distinguished Achievers (Band 6 in one or more subjects)
- Catherine H, 9th in State for Design & Technology
- Emma D, 15th in State for PDHPE
- Shape (Design and Technology) nominees: Madison C, Rebecca C, Isabel D, Avalon G, Charli H, Siobhan H, Catherine H, Molly L, Phoebe M, Jasmine S, Renee T and Sophie W
- Texstyle (Textile & Design) nominee Inez E, who was invited to exhibit her work.
- Callback (Dance) nominees: Riona C, Briana C, Charlotte T, Alizee G, Megan VO and Sienna S, who received 12 nominations across the three Callback categories. Briana was selected for the Best of Callback Showcase.
- The staff and students in the subjects that achieved above State average including Ancient History, Legal Studies, Japanese Beginners, Design & Technology, Biology, Chemistry, Dance, Mathematics, Modern History, Physics, Hospitality and EAL/D.
- The 91% of girls who achieved nothing lower than a Band 4 and the many personal bests included in that result
- Every student who did her best, who worked hard, who desired to learn and grow.
- The 92% of Chemistry students who achieved a Band 5 or 6 (compared to 45% in the state) as well as Dance 89% (State 53%), Japanese Beginners 100% (State 43%)
- The per cent of students who achieved a Band 6: English Extension 1 83% (State 34%), Extension History 66% (State 28%), Design & Technology 48% (State 14%), Business Studies 22% (State 9%), Mathematics 41% (State 24%), along with many other subjects with similar results.
- Inez E, who achieved a Band 6 in English Standard. Only 202 Band 6s were awarded across the State out of 30,635 English Standard candidates.
How we value education is reflected not only in test scores and school rankings, which are arguably poor indicators in and of themselves, but in how our students achieve their educational goals, have the privilege of options for their future, and are growing a positive disposition towards lifelong learning – a key indicator of human happiness. Stella exists within a local context where education is highly valued and we are very grateful for the opportunity to pass that on to our students. We wish them every success in all its forms.
Brianna C: Best of Callback Showcase Inez E: Texstyle Showcase