At Stella Maris we are committed to open and engaged relationships with each of our families. To this end, we welcome your ideas and encourage your participation at every level. There are six easy ways to be an active Stella parent:
- Follow your daughter’s progress via the Portal
- Stay in touch with daily College life through our publications
- Join the Parents & Friends
- Offer your time and skills as a volunteer
- Attend events
- Talk to us about your thoughts and ideas
The Stella Maris Portal
The Stella Maris Portal is an important tool that strengthens the lines of communication between you and the College. The Portal provides online access to a range of information regarding your daughter that is updated daily, including
- a calendar featuring all assessment tasks and excursions relevant to your daughter
- a list of her reportable assessment tasks showing the due date and details of the task itself
- marks for completed assessment tasks (with comments if applicable)
- Academic Reports
- Pastoral Reports
- your daughter’s timetable (printable)
- pastoral records
- your daughter’s subject list
- news and notices such as daily room changes
- attendance records
- assessment schedules for each subject
- permission slips for school excursions that can be digitally approved by you with just one mouse click
You will also find a Quick Links section on the guest page before you log in that gives you access to many of the College services such as your daughter’s MyStudent account, Moodle, email, the Newsletter and so on.
Your Parents & Friends Association
“The Stella P&F gives you the opportunity to give something back to the College and the opportunity to be involved, make friends, have a great time and be an active parent!” – John Mills, President, 2016.
The aim of the Stella P&F, one of the most important facets of the College, is to provide a collaborative safe and sharing environment where people can meet, discuss and support the general ethos and future of the College. As the Principal, Mrs Carnegie, says, “The P&F is about raising friends, not funds”. The P&F provides
- the opportunity to discuss, listen, gain knowledge about and support all College activities and College life in general
- the opportunity for positive, relaxed and effective communication with other parents and staff
- the opportunity to help and support the College and community wherever possible
- an understanding of the College/Parent relationship and its importance
- the opportunity to raise funds to contribute to the College for specific projects
There are five or six meetings per year usually held on a Wednesday at 7 pm: the Annual General Meeting always held in February, two general meetings with guest speakers and other Executive meetings.
Email the P&F or look out in the Newsletter for meetings dates and times and simply come along. Every parent is invited and your participation is much appreciated by us and by the College. You’ll be warmly welcomed.
There is only one fundraiser per calendar year. In recent years this has been a Trivia Night, usually held in May and always a lively occasion! All money raised is donated to the College and specifically allocated to something needed by the College that has been discussed and agreed upon at the P&F meetings. The aim of fundraising is to be able to contribute something special to the College and in turn support our girls moving forward.
Email the P&F about meetings, joining the Executive or events, or you can call the College main reception on 9977 5144 to be connected with our P&F President or leave a message.
The College Newsletter, website Newsroom and What’s On are three ways you can keep in touch with the daily life of the College. They are an important point of contact for parents who are unable to be actively involved in the College community. You can also ‘like’ us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter – especially important in situations where other lines of communication may be temporarily down.
Our parents contribute according to their own skills, time and interest and enjoy each other’s company. The College appreciates every single moment you are able to share with us.
Some of the ways you can be involved are
- serving customers in the Canteen or Uniform Shop
- helping out at Music performance nights with supervision, stage management and ushering
- getting creative on Drama productions like set building, making costumes, doing makeup or ushering
- training sport teams or refereeing competitions
- joining the Parents & Friends
- assisting students with writing or reading difficulties during their exams
- spending time in the Library shelving books or taking books home to cover
- attending working bees
- using your professional and trade skills
- advising in your field of expertise – from landscaping to marketing and anything in between
Research shows that volunteering actually causes happiness! Our generous Stella parents give their time and effort to contribute to the continued health and happiness of our College community. Their presence on campus creates a highly cherished atmosphere of collaboration and commitment.
Opening Mass (February)
Year 7 Welcome Dinner (March)
Student Learning Conferences (May)
Trivia Night (May)
Mothers’ Day Breakfast (May)
Parent Learning Seminar (June)
‘Preparing for Year 9’ Information Night for Year 8 Parents (Term 3)
‘Preparing for Year 11’ Information Night for Year 10 parents (Term 3)
‘Preparing for the HSC’ Information Night for Year 11 Parents (Term 3)
P&F AGM (Term 3)
Fathers’ Day Breakfast (August)
Volunteers Thank You Dinner (November)
Presentation Evening (December)
Talk to us
Your feedback on any aspect of College life or your daughter’s Stella Maris experience is welcome. To reach specific people via email or to leave a comment or suggestion go to the Contact Us page.
Contact the College Counsellor
Council of Catholic School Parents
School A to Z
Relationships Australia Family Parenting Courses and Family Relationship Centres
The Kids Are All Right
Stay Smart Online