Are you thinking of holding a reunion? Here’s what the College can do to help:
- advertise your reunion on this page
- create a ‘What’s On’ item for the College website
- put a notice in the College Newsletter
- organise a tour of the College for your group if you would like (7 days a week, 10am to 7pm)
- create an event for the Old Girls Facebook group. You can do this yourself or Donna will do it for you if you are not on Facebook personally.
- provide the venue (no cost) – either on the deck under the fig tree or at Benedict Campus (wet/cold weather option)
- catering equipment hire
- assist with contacting current and former staff you may wish to invite
Email Donna Stimson, the Ex-Students Association Coordinator, or call on 9976 1844 for any of the above. Scroll down this page for some tips on organising a reunion.
Other ways you can promote your event include:
- an ad in the Manly Daily and Sydney Morning Herald
- a notice in parish newsletters
- a notice in primary school newsletters
We welcome news and photos of all Ex-Students gatherings. Join us on Facebook on the Stella Ex-Students (Old Girls) Official Page.
HSC Class of ’68 (SC ’66)
50 Year Reunion
21 April, 2018
12 for 12.30pm
Ivanhoe Hotel, Manly
Contact Lynn Mahony (for catering purposes)
0438 678 187
Class of ’77 – 40 years
If you were in the class Form 1 1972 to Year 12 1977 then come along on Saturday, 28 October, to the Pines Lounge, Ivanhoe Hotel (Level 2) 27 The Corso at 5pm. RSVP Sue Marr firstname.lastname@example.org or Jenny Hawes (nee Roberts) email@example.com
Class of ’67 – 50 years
If you attended Stella Maris from 1962-1967 – the first year of the Wyndham Scheme and last year of the Leaving Certificate – we would love to hear from you as we are organising a reunion on 21 October 2017 at Dee Why RSL. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and attention it to Maureen Sinclair (nee Walsh).
Farewell to the Hall – All welcome
Come and bid farewell to the hall/D block before it’s demolished in December!
Sunday, 30th October, 2016
2pm at Benedict College for a short tour then 2.30pm under the fig tree on main campus (entry via Iluka Avenue gate) for afternoon tea and a tour. Contact email@example.com or call main reception on 9977 5144 to RSVP (for catering). No cost. Spread the word!
HSC Class of ’76 – 40 years
Everyone who was in this class from Year 7 1971 to Year 12 1976 is invited to the home of Alicen van Bokhoven (nee Burrell) on 4th February, 2017 at 2pm. Contact Alicen or Colleen Manson (nee Parsons) via Facebook or contact Donna Stimson on firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
School Certificate ’66/HSC ’68
12th November, 2016, 12.30pm at the home of Lynn Mahony. Contact Lynn on email@example.com or via Facebook for details.
Intermediate Class of ’56/Leaving ’58 – and all those who started in 1954 – 60 years
Due to the sad passing of Lynn Martin, who was organising this event, it has been cancelled until further notice.
Year 12 Class of ’91 – and those who started with them in 1986 or along the way – 25 years
17th September 2016
Ivanhoe Hotel Manly Corso, Level 2 Lounge, 3pm-9pm.
$20 per head includes food. Drinks can be purchased at bar.
Facebook page: Stella Maris College 25 Year Reunion Class of 1991. Join the page to see full details and arrange payment.
Go to the Facebook page or contact Anita Wildash or email Donna Stimson (if you’re not on Facebook)
Year 12 Class of ’75 and Year 10 ’73 – 40 years
18th October 2015, 12 Noon.
Harbord Beach Hotel Beer Garden
Email Bernie McGrath (nee Smith) or Rosey Rulli (via Facebook)
Year 12 Class of ’05 – 10 years
23rd October 2015, 7 pm
Manly 16ft Skiff Club
Organised by Katrina Docherty, Lyndal Shipton, Samantha Warhurst and Samantha Dingwall.
Email enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org
Buy your tickets at https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/stella-maris-class-of-05-reunion-tickets-18503762251
Tips for Organising a Reunion
You can make the process as simple or as detailed as you wish, depending on how big an occasion you would like to make it. Here are tips to help make the process as smooth as possible.
- Who are you going to get to help you? The number of people you need will depend on how big an event you want to organise.
- Choose a date. Is it better early in the year or towards the middle? What influences the timing? Will anyone be coming from the country, interstate or overseas? How much notice will everyone need? Invite everyone you can possibly contact.
- What type of event best suits your age group? Think about the time of day, venue and type of event. Does anyone in the group have a disability that will impact on your plans?
- Is this an event for partners or families or just the girls?
- How is everyone going to pay? Will you have a separate bank account? If so, do you need one or two signatories? Don’t forget to calculate the cost of calls, printing, stationery, decorations, etc. Make sure you cover your costs. If there are any extra funds they can always be donated to the College.
- Choosing a venue. What does the ticket price include? Does anyone in the group have a contact or own a venue you could use? What is the menu like? Will it suit those with special dietary requirements? How many people are you expecting? Is the space big enough? What about noise? Is there enough seating? What drinks are included in the ticket price? Will the venue let you decorate the space?
- Will it be at someone’s home? Do they have enough room – even if it rains? What about plates, cutlery, glasses, cups, chairs? Will a caterer need to be hired? Think about setting up and cleaning up as well.
- Let the College know. We may be able to help with class lists or photos. We will also advertise your reunion on Facebook, the College website and in the weekly Newsletter. Email Donna Stimson or call her on 9976 1844.
- Would you like a tour of the College beforehand? Email or call Donna to organise a tour any weekday or weekends.
- Are you going to decorate for the event? Copies of class photos, school magazine pages, memorabilia, or the music, clothing, styles and food of your decade, are just some ideas. Plan ahead and ask people to bring memorabilia with them. Take copies or photos or documents if you can and pass them on to Donna for the College archives.
- Make nametags for the event using current surnames and maiden names if possible.
- Get the word out. The more notice the better so people can organise their time. The wider your spread the better so you capture as many classmates as possible. Consider the College website, Newsletter and Facebook page, parish newsletters, other school newsletters, the Manly Daily, the Sydney Morning Herald and Daily Telegraph. Word of mouth can only take you so far.
- Do you want to make a reunion booklet? Send out a questionnaire to collect data on those coming and on those unable to attend and put the info into a booklet with some old photos. Remember to send a copy of the booklet to Donna (either email or snail mail).
- Do you want an official photographer or will you rely on everyone taking their own photos? Remember to take lots of photos and get everyone’s contact details so you can email them a photo or two. Remember to email a few photos to Donna as well for the College website and archives.
- Organise it so you can relax on the day. You don’t want to be spending the whole time running around taking care of business. Enjoy the time together.
- Reporting back to the College for the website and for the archives. The College community will love to read a short article and see a couple of photos of your event.
- Email Donna if you have more advice for other reunion organisers.