“There is a vitality, a life force, an energy, a quickening that is translated through you into action, and because there is only one of you in all time, this expression is unique. And if you block it, it will never exist through any other medium and will be lost.” – Martha Graham.
Stella Maris is known among Australian high schools for its excellence in Dance. With consistently high results in a variety of eisteddfodau and HSC Callback nominations, it rivals even dedicated dance academies in its choreography and performance.
The Performance Group is for beginners who wish to explore dance, build technique and gain performance experience.
Dance Ensemble affords intermediate level girls from Years 7 to 11 the opportunity to be a part of a team that competes and performs throughout the year with a focus on performance fun. Girls involved in the ensemble program will compete in approximately three eisteddfod competitions per year as well as school based functions and performances including Performing Arts Evenings, Dance Nights, Presentation Night and other College functions. Entry is by audition so that we can place each girl into an ensemble that best suits her abilities and interests.
The Stella Maris Dance Company is designed for Years 7 to 12 students who are highly skilled and who may be interested in a dance career, who wish to improve their technique and movement vocabulary, and want to experience what it means to be part of a company.
“It is really nice to see a school taking such strong initiative to give their talented dance students a platform that will give them great training for their future, whether that be dance or otherwise. Training Company experience and potential exposure is irreplaceable for those wishing to pursue a career in dance. The passion that shone from these dancers, and their hard work and dedication to pull together four works in two months, on top of keeping up with their school work, is no small feat. All involved should be commended for their effort. Stella Maris Dance Company has a bright future ahead of it…..there will be wonderfully exciting times ahead for these students.” – Dance Informa Magazine
It is expected that members of the Company are dedicated and committed to dance, want opportunities to study under industry professionals and are eager to perform in both competitions and specialised concerts.
- The Company rehearses 1 to 3 times a week, usually at 7.30 am.
- When numbers allow we may offer a Junior and a Senior Company
- In Terms 1 and 2 the focus is on creating Jazz and Lyrical/Contemporary works for competition.
- In Terms 2 and 3 the focus is on performing and competing
- In Term 4 students begin to work with Industry choreographers on commercial works for the following year
- Highlights of the year include Open Day, the Australian Dance Festival (ADF), College Dance Nights and end of year Presentation Night plus a number of competitions such as the City of Sydney Eisteddfod.
- Guest teachers are also involved in classes from time to time.