Mission and Values
Inspiring young women to create a better world.
Educating and empowering young people to embrace life, learning and creativity in an inclusive Catholic community, where students are nurtured, encouraged and challenged to fulfil their potential as future leaders – making a positive difference in their world.
We recognise and respect the individuality of each person and challenge students to be:
- Innovative, creative and collaborative learners
- Engaged in today’s world
- Grounded and hope-filled
- Equipped to lead wisely, to listen deeply
- Striving for excellence and personal best
- Treating their neighbour and their environment with justice, love and the compassion of Christ
- Ready to take their place as young women in the world inspired to make a significant and positive difference.
We build our community:
- As safe and welcoming, where everyone has a place
- With authentic relationships and friendships
- As a place where all members are valued, heard and have a voice
- Encouraging collaborative leadership
- As a place of learning, teaching and wellbeing for all and;
- Grounded in the sacred.
Our Core Values
As a secondary College of Good Samaritan Education, the Stella Maris community embraces the Benedictine values espoused in the Good Samaritan Teaching and Learning Framework and the Good Samaritan Schools Mission Framework. Here at Stella Maris College we focus on four of these as our core values
- Peace and Justice
These values are made evident in every aspect of College life, including the Stella Star Learning Framework and through our Student Wellbeing practices.
Our Educational Goals
The College fulfils its Vision and Mission and is true to its core values by
- promoting the relevance of the Benedictine view of life
- providing an environment which promotes effective learning and growth of each individual within the community
- nurturing Gospel values that foster social justice for all
- developing and maximising learning opportunities and teaching skills
- enabling our students to effectively participate in and contribute to their world
- ensuring that the wider community is enriched by its association with Stella Maris College
Our Three ‘I’s
Our professional teaching staff and constantly evolving facilities are working to establish an environment where our students can be creative and collaborative learners.
Through our modelling we seek to inspire excellence of character and generosity of spirit; through our learning and teaching we seek to inspire curiosity, awe and academic excellence; through our extra-curricular program we seek to inspire personal striving, commitment, resilience and the courage to try; through our pastoral practices we seek to inspire love and care of our diverse humanity. Our Benedictine values of justice and peace, hospitality, community and stewardship promote balance, an idea reflected richly in the Benedictine motto: Ora et Labora – prayer and work. We are ever mindful of the necessity to celebrate the dignity of each person and to inspire a reverence for God’s creation.
The College strives to recognise, respect and nurture the unique individuals that make up the Stella Maris community. The College is absolutely committed to wellbeing, which includes respecting and valuing the diversity inherent in our community through careful reflection and attention to the personal, social and academic needs of each member. It is our firm hope that everyone who comes into our community finds a place of hospitality and belonging.
Our Religious Education program is the foundation of our College year and goes beyond the formal Religious Education classroom curriculum. Stella Maris is a Catholic College: liturgy, reflection, College retreats, the Sacraments, community service, social justice and restorative justice programs all combine to create an atmosphere where Christ is an everyday presence in the life of each member of the community.
We aspire to equip our students with the confidence to combine their faith, values and beliefs with their educational learning so they can make a positive difference to their world.